CT Campus Compact AmeriCorps VISTA Leader, 2014-2015!
The CT Campus Compact (CTCC) AmeriCorps VISTA program mobilizes higher education resources to build the capacity of a key community based partner that serves low-income people. Through the work with a campus and its designated partner agency, VISTA members address priority community needs in 1 of 3 focus areas: Economic Opportunity, Education, and/or Healthy Futures. CT Campus Compact VISTAs build a campus/community partnership by taking on different capacity-building activities such as: recruiting or training volunteers, writing grants and soliciting donations, creating publicity and outreach materials, conducting needs assessments and asset profiles, establishing sustainable systems and structures.
The VISTA Leader will assist CTCC staff in overseeing the activities and support of our 11 VISTA members. Duties will include: planning and implementation of trainings; coordinating monthly and quarterly reports; working collaboratively with CTCC staff to design and plan CTCC Orientation; supporting and empowering our VISTA team; and recruiting the 2015 VISTA members.
The VISTA Leader will also work on enhancing CTCC communication and marketing materials. Previous marketing experiences are desired.
The position is located on the University of Connecticut- Greater Hartford Campus.
Service Start date: July/August 2014.
1. (required) Successfully completed a full term of VISTA service before the CTCC position start date
2. College degree – B.A./B.S.
3. Proven leadership ability
4. Marketing/Advertising skills
5. Strong organizational, project management and event planning skills
6. Experience working with post-secondary students
7. Knowledge of and experience in service-learning, volunteer management and national service
8. Ability to manage short and long-term deadlines
9. Excellent verbal and written communication skills
10. Strong computer and skills
1. Annual living allowance of $14,196 (paid as a monthly stipend of $1,183, pre-tax)
2. Post service education award of $5,650 or end of term $3,000 cash stipend
3. Health coverage
4. Relocation allowance (if eligible) and travel to Leader Training
5. Non-competitive eligibility for federal employment following year of full-term service
6. Student loan forbearance and childcare assistance if applicable
The VISTA Leader of CTCC is also eligible to receive:
A. A meal plan
C. Paid professional development opportunities
D. Discounted local entertainment/activities
About the area:
The greater Hartford area of Connecticut has been the home to many AmeriCorps members. The area is rich with culture, food, and entertainment. Learn more about the community through the Hartford Magazine and the West Hartford Magazine.