COMPASS for Kids is a non-profit based in Lexington, MA that seeks to improve the lives of vulnerable children by providing education, training, coaching, mentoring and support to the adults and institutions that care for them. Executive Director Jodi Hill ’78 is a former Wesleyan trustee with extensive experience in nonprofit management. COMPASS for Kids is looking for a responsible Wesleyan student to work remotely from campus as a Grant Writing Assistant. This Cardinal Internship is an excellent opportunity to learn about the grant application process while supporting a great organization. The position requires 10-15 hours of work per week and pays $12 per hour. There is a possibility of the job continuing into the spring, and then the summer, as needs are determined.
• Organize sections of existing grant proposals into chunks of easy-to-access information
• Work with the Executive Director to increase the number of grant applications submitted
• Research new grant opportunities
• In some cases, work with COMPASS staff to choose which grant opportunities to pursue
• Develop first drafts of grant proposals
• Review comments on first draft and produce second draft
• Produce and submit final proposal drafts
• Excellent critical reading abilities
• EXCELLENT technical writing skills (e.g. research papers)
• Excellent information research abilities
• Commitment to following exact directions
• Ability to meet strict time deadlines
• Flexibility and a sense of humor
• Email your cover letter, resume, and brief writing sample (1-2 pages from your best paper, as PDF or Word doc) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Address your cover letter to Ms. Jodi Hill.
• Submit your cover letter, resume, and writing sample again through Career Drive.
• Due Tuesday, September 30